While MEPs voted in favour of a resolution asking the European Commission to accelerate the transition to a science that bans the use of animals in research, regulatory testing and education; European citizens have launched the initiative (ECI – European Citizens’ Initiative) “Save Cruelty Free Cosmetics – Commit to a Europe without Animal Testing” asking to uphold and strengthen the ban to animal-free safety assessment.
Three quarters of adult EU citizens agree that animal testing for cosmetic products and their ingredients is unacceptable in all circumstances and 72% want a plan to phase out all animal testing.
The initiative calls on the European Commission to:
- Protect and strengthen the cosmetics animal testing ban ➡ Initiate legislative change to achieve consumer, worker, and environmental protection for all cosmetics ingredients without testing on animals for any purpose at any time.
- Transform EU chemicals regulation ➡ Ensure human health and environment protection by managing chemicals without the addition of new animal testing requirements.
- Modernise science in the EU ➡ Commit to a legislative proposal plotting a roadmap to phase-out all animal testing in the EU before the end of the current legislative term.
Read the entire document 🔎 Annex
It’s time to act!
Thanks to the most modern, human-relevant and non-animal methods already developed, nowadays animal testing is not necessary to ensure the safety of a product.
What you can do
- Sign the ECI if you are European citizens 🎯 We aim to reach 1 million signatures (end of period 31/08/2022)
- Not an EU citizen? Share the initiative with your friends on your social accounts
- Choose cruelty free cosmetics. When you buy cosmetics, choose brands not tested on animals